Iowa-Centric

Thursday, October 2, 2014

I know that I have a tendency to repeat myself, but sometimes something comes up that is worth mentioning again, and this is one of those.  Today I want to take a moment to point out and be grateful for the way that people from the Midwest, and especially Iowa, treat each other.  In the same vein, I will give a nod of the cap to Maine, because when I've spent time out there with my sister Jaye, I've found Mainers to be very similar - they just speak a little funny.

In the last month, as I've looked for where my next passion will lie, I have run into some of the most genuinely nice people that you would ever have the opportunity to meet.  Folks have gone out of their way to introduce me to others and make sure that I am receiving everything that I need to move forward.  In several situations, people have taken time to come to a meet-up they suggested just to personally handle the introduction and ensure that the meeting got off on the right foot.  How amazing is that?

My family and I have moved six or seven times since the kids were born and we have also lived separately for a couple of extended periods.  Everywhere that we've been, we had the good fortune to meet great people and live in nice neighborhoods.  But in all of those moves, I knew I would find my way back to Iowa.  It was always about the people and the way they are interconnected.

I have to share an example.  My first day or so in this new endeavor, I had lunch with a businessman I've known for several years.  The meeting was scheduled before any of this change occurred.  I told him what had happened, and that I was exploring several options, including buying a business.  Without hesitation, he took out a pen, and on a napkin at the restaurant, wrote the contact info for an accountant and attorney I should speak with.  What an amazing gesture.  Now, fast forward 5-6 weeks to earlier this week.  My phone rang and it was the same acquaintance, wondering how things were going.  I got him up to speed, telling him that I've been working with his accountant as we look at the business purchase.  Then he tells me that he has been thinking about it and knows another person I should meet as part of my networking.  Today ... plans are made for coffee, all three of us, early next week.  This is true generosity ... Iowa values ... the right way to take care of people.

Now for the flip side of the way things work.  As you might know, I am pretty good in the kitchen.  Not brilliant, but I do all right.  Well, the day before Thanksgiving, I will be "lecturing" on sugar cookies at at the home of a man I met just this last month. I've never been to his home before.  How does this happen? As you meet new people and get to know them, all of a sudden there is a discussion about cookies and the next thing that occurs? Signed up as a guest lecturer ... on how to make sugar cookies.  We will have a ball, and trust me, I'll be making a bunch of sugar cookies between how and then. But that experience continues to point at the way that we are here.  We introduce you to others that can help your career AND invite you over to make cookies.  Like the sign on the way into my hometown said, "Just Naturally Friendlier."

If you're reading this from another state or another country (because the reporting shows that there are some of you out there), tell me about where you live.  I'll include your note in a future blog.  Looking back, about every three months something wonderful happens in Iowa to remind me about this topic, so send your thoughts and I will use them.

On a final note, I have to tell you about my daughter's twenty-first birthday.  I know she felt fully celebrated as the event went from about noon to the end of the day. Friends and family from all over stopped in to see her.

But, what I want to tell you about is a little place that we happened into on Saturday afternoon.  It is in the East Village of Des Moines and is called the Up Down: Des Moines Arcade Bar.  What a blast from the past.  They are a bar, but the fun part is that they have a bunch of classic arcade games as well.  I thought it was 75, but their website says 40, and it's only 25 cents a play.  If you want to play Pacman, Frogger, Galaga, or any of the classics, they are there.  And, to top that off, we got there for their happy hour. Two-for-one tokens.  Oh my, we were in nerd heaven.  So, next time you are in the East Village looking for something to do, I highly recommend Up Down.

Have a great week.

0 comments:

Post a Comment