Failing Fast

Thursday, January 10, 2013

I participate in a monthly roundtable with a group of executives from other industries. We meet once a month and typically one of the members presents a current problem they face. The group spends time helping them dig deeply into the issue and almost always offers solutions which had yet to surface.  The exercise is always enjoyable and offers an opportunity to stretch mental muscles in ways that aren’t possible in our daily activities.

This week our meeting was a little different.  A guest speaker spoke on innovation. Following his presentation, the members of the group talked about our own past innovation as well as that which we are currently involved in, and when we thought it might finally affect our daily lives.  This was really interesting for me on an introspective basis. I had to admit my life’s work hasn’t been as much about innovation as it has been about seeing how things are done in one environment and figuring out how to remold those processes to work elsewhere.  I often say that if you can find a really good idea and print it on your letterhead, it becomes yours.  As I look back over my career, that is one thing I excelled at as a District Manager - recognizing the strength in one location and seeding the knowledge to the rest of the organization.  I always figured I was “spreading the wealth” but I guess that some might consider that quite innovative.

In November 2011, I posted a blog entitled, “Tripod.”  I wrote about a person I met on a trip to China and the tripod he used to determine if the possibility of having fun when in his endeavors.  I feel fortunate to say he has become a friend and I continue to learn from him regularly.  What he has taught me in combination with my roundtable introspection is the concept of “failing fast.”  If you are attempting to penetrate a new market, open a new business, or really get anything done; you should charge forward so that in the event something goes wrong, you have time to try again before anyone else has an opportunity to try the first time.  This is a really bold form of moving ahead, but I will tell you I can see how it would work.  At the same time, I know that one thing which sets entrepreneurs apart is their ability to set failure aside as though it never happened.

I could use more of that confidence, and I bet there are times you could as well.  Seth Godin tells us that we have to “ship.” All of the good work or thought we have doesn’t count if we don’t send it out into the world. I must admit I am average at best because I FEAR failure so much.  So, as I continue to figure out how to get things done in my shop, I must embrace the concept of failing fast and getting things out. This is the only way the world can let me know if I have created a good product.  I must have the faith to let the world tell me whether I have hit the mark or not.  If I miss, then I have to find a way to use that information to try again and get it right the next time.  Interestingly enough, I’m pretty good at allowing the folks who work for me to move forward in this manner, but I have more difficulty accepting it in myself.

Now is the time to embrace the concept of “freedom to fail.” Go ahead and get something done. Release it to the world to see what happens.  The first step for me today is to post this blog.  Take a minute to shoot me a note and tell me what you think.  Thanks.

0 comments:

Post a Comment