Perspective

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Interestingly enough, I listened to a speaker on Monday night tell a group of high school Juniors and Seniors that if they followed their passions, the money would take care of itself.  Hum … I am just not sure I necessarily agree with that.  So, I’ve been thinking about it the last couple of days, particularly in light of some really nasty medical news that my family has encountered.  And, as is typically my case, I have some observations and would love to hear back from any of you with opinions of your own.

I have told you in past writing that I tend to keep my passion as an avocation rather than making it my profession.  In doing that, I’ve probably never gotten as good at it as if I would have jumped in and said, "I will be a cabinet maker."  I have tinkered with woodworking, learning a lot but never really perfecting the techniques that I use.  I can and do make pretty furniture and beautiful casework, but I know that had I committed to it with my entire being I would be better today.

At the same time, I did commit myself completely to the management of people.  And in this arena, I believe that I am very good.  This has provided a very comfortable living for myself and my family, and put me in a position that I believed would allow me to retire someday.  For those of us in my generation, this goal has become much more elusive in the last few years than it was in our "early" years. 

That all changed last week.  There has been a change in our family and I have already decided, without reservation, that I would and will spend every cent I have to make it right again.  And, I know we will make it right.

So, the question for me comes full circle.  If I would have followed my passion, would the money have taken care of itself?

Wow, how do you even think about that?  On one hand, maybe with the commitment that I would have made I would have ended up as one of the most prestigious craftsmen in the country, commanding tens of thousands of dollars for a single piece of furniture.  On the other hand, maybe I am as good now as I ever would have been and I’d be living today with much less, but I would have followed my passion all of those years.

So, it kind of becomes one of those chicken/egg arguments.  Which came first?  Here is what I have come to believe in the last little bit.  We all have to do something that makes us smile … EVERY DAY.  If what we are doing does not do that, we have to stop what we are doing and regroup.  Life is just too short to do anything else.  So, I am going home tonight to make sure Andrew loves Engineering and to let Megan know that if she wants to swim with sharks, I will take pictures.  As far as Sara, it is time to get after her quilting business.

Please think positive thoughts for my daughter.  She is beginning a long journey back to good health.  Keep her close to your heart.  Thanks

1 comments:

Neil said...

It seems that one only gets to follow their own heart so far, and then it becomes the hearts of the spouse, children and an expanding group of relatives that one follows - one heart lead by many. With that being said, know that Megan is being held close in many hearts, and we all want copies of the pictures of her swimming with the sharks, so plan on making copies.

Post a Comment