Carpentry vs. Cabinetmaking

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

While I was working on the remaining section of my stairs the other night, I asked myself the question, "Are you a cabinetmaker or a carpenter"?  For me the answer came easily.  I am a carpenter.
For what I do, being a good carpenter is enough.  I put things together in the best way, and joints typically fit the way that I want them to.  I end up with projects that are functional and have the right form and fit.  But, from the perspective of a cabinetmaker, I am not there.  There is no "grace and beauty" to what I do.  I am not a cabinetmaker, nor am I a furniture builder.  I do however aspire to be both and I will continue to strive to accomplish these levels of craftsmanship.  But what am I doing to achieve these levels?

I wonder if there is a like comparison in other endeavors.  I am sure there is.  It seems to me that sometimes we go through our lives in a state of mediocrity, happy with the level of our performance and hoping that we will be able to improve our performance to something better.  What happened to the way we approached things when we were young?  I remember Andrew’s second Pinewood Derby.  He absolutely believed that we would win; because we had worked on his car together and there was no way that anyone could be better than that.  We didn’t win, and he was crushed.  Is that the start of limiting ourselves to just be OK, so it doesn’t hurt so much when we are not great?

We all know excellence when we see it.  It is going to the Drake Relays and watching a world class athlete set a new record.  But it is also watching a mother in the grocery store deal with three kids who are having fits appropriately, not screaming or grabbing them by their arm.  I need to take time to recognize excellent behavior in others and tell them about it, and I need to challenge myself to excellence in my own life. 

Speaking for me, it is time to stop accepting the mediocre - in my personal life and in my professional life. I need others around me to do the same.  I will push toward a higher level of expertise in my carpentry until I call myself a cabinetmaker. 

Life is a journey.  Standing still in the place where we are comfortable doesn’t move us forward and doesn’t move us past mediocrity.  I will move forward.  I will challenge and encourage you to move forward as well if you will do the same for me.  This is how we can make our part of the world just a little bit better.

Are you in?

1 comments:

J said...

Bravo, Jim. Mediocrity is the easy way.
Jules

Post a Comment