Morning

Thursday, May 21, 2015

I know that I've talked about this before, but I love mornings. This is the time of the day I like best because, honestly, I haven't screwed anything up yet. In the morning, a day is perfect, without the imperfections that litter the rest of the day as I begin to do things and make decisions. Admittedly, this time doesn't always last very long, but there are always at least a few minutes of this feeling.  But that isn't really what I am talking about today.

The morning that I am talking about is the way that the day itself, and the world around you, actually stretches and yawns as a way to get started. If you've never thought about this, stop and take a moment one of these days and really listen to the world. This has to be in the quiet time just as the day is getting started. Here are some of the things I've seen or heard in the last few days.

Driving to Weekend with Wood last Friday morning. I had already been in to work to get a couple of things done. I had a cup of coffee (one of my signature morning activities) and was in the heart of downtown. Two separate times, women crossed the street in front of me, carrying large satchels.  Both were dressed professionally, both were wearing running shoes of one type or another. These women were on their way to work, traveling at least some of the way on foot. This may have been from a parking structure, or maybe from their home. Both were going to get to work and change into whatever they needed to wear for the rest of the day. They may have even been carrying their lunch in the bag as well. I had to slow down my morning while waiting for them to cross in front of me and it was a quiet moment for all of us as the day was beginning. Just people trying to live their lives, and get their day started. Sometimes I think that I need to be more aware of the fact that this is what people are doing, just trying to live their lives.

Different day, different place. As is often the case, I was up early. As part of that I got to listen to the house come awake. Slowly, almost cautiously, there started to be the little sounds of a day starting. The squeak of a bed as someone started rolling around to wake up; the long sigh from another - stretching and getting all of the body parts moving; sometimes even the sound of the house as weight came to bear on places that it hadn't all night. I love this little symphony that plays out at the beginning of the day. And that is only inside the house. Open a window, or go outside and listen to what the rest of the world is doing. It always helps me to know that there is something more going on than what happens in my little corner.

Okay, that is probably about as philosophic as I ever get and definitely enough for today. Take the time, even if you aren't a morning person, to try at least to embrace the morning once. You may actually find something there to like.

0 comments:

Post a Comment