Life Value

Monday, June 9, 2014

Sometimes when we're in the middle of doing something that is just a normal part of our job, we discover that great discovery comes from a singular moment. Such was the situation for me last week. I had an opportunity to speak with someone that up until that point I didn't have time to get to know. Let me clarify that. It was my perception of time ... or the lack of it that led me to that point, but that's something I'll get back to.

Throughout our conversation, I discovered that this person was deployed with our military for a period of time.  I was fascinated as I learned about a work environment and a life that I've never experienced.  I have no military background, and though I might have wondered whether it was a mistake or not, it is sure nothing that I can do anything about at this point.  Anyway, when I asked what had been the most important learning that came from this experience, the answer was unexpected.  This person told me that they believed that they valued their own life more now than ever before.

I've written about the frailty of life before, but took me down an entirely different path.  This is truly the idea that when I wake up and greet the morning, I need to remember first and foremost, that I am alive for another day.  Now, if I am completely honest with you, there are too many times that the first thing I think about is how my back hurts, or how much I would like to roll over and go back to sleep.  Okay, those may remain secondary thoughts and I'll never get rid of them, but I need to start with thankfulness for the day. Period.

And this brings me back around to thoughts on my perception of time.  Every single day, it feels as though I am challenged for every minute.  At work, I am constantly bombarded by things coming at me - questions, decisions, problems, you name it.  At home my life is filled with things I need to do and want to do for my family, my friends and for myself.  But because I am so focused on not having time for things and I concentrate on just getting through the day, I know that I often miss wonderful opportunities.

These thoughts and this moment of self-discovery happened because I had to take the time to talk with someone that I didn't know.  I need to force myself to take more time to do that.  In the past, even if by simply saying hello to someone I don't know, I've told my kids that I continue to work on being more outgoing.  It looks to me like I need to redouble that effort.  I need to keep focusing on each day as the blessing that it is and remember that even the hardest thing that I have to do in a day, I actually get to do.

Okay, enough of this, I need to get busy and use the day that I have in front of me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment