Hibernate

Thursday, February 6, 2020

Iowa is fortunate to have four distinct weather seasons. I love this, but I know there are many in the state who would disagree with me. One of the great things about having all the seasons is that about the time you are tired of one, another appears, or as has been the case lately, a taste of the next season shows itself. We've had a nice break from severe winter weather this last week. In fact, the other day when the temperature was in the thirties one of the weather people reminded us that on the same day last year the windchill was fifty-one degrees below zero. What a contrast. It was fun to watch people walk their dogs and play with their children, like a nice Spring or Summer day. A little nice weather takes us a long way toward a much better overall outlook about the world.

As this was going on, I had occasion to be outside the city in rural Iowa which was what made me think about hibernation. As children, we learned about the bear's life cycle and that they spend several months in their dens in a state of hibernation. While this is interesting, as I traveled across the countryside, a completely different definition came to mind. Our row-crop agriculture shuts down at the end of the harvest season and as farmers come out of the field, they still have work to be accomplished.  Equipment is cleaned and serviced before being put away for the winter. But slowly, the work is completed, machine sheds and barns fill up, and doors are pulled closed. The farmstead begins to hibernate. There might still be work to be accomplished over the winter months, but in large part, things are shut up and put away. Then, much as is the case of the bear in the spring, when the time comes, machine sheds and barns open up and the period of waking occurs. I enjoy watching this part of the cycle of the state and when I lived other places; it was part of what I missed.

Another part of the hibernation seen in Iowa in the winter is the farmland itself. Again, as harvest ends, farmers prepare the land for winter. This may include fall tillage or chemical application, but whatever they do, it makes things ready for winter. For me, looking at snow-covered farmland makes me imagine the land is asleep, waiting for spring to wake it to a new season. From other blogs I have posted, you know I love crops in the late summer, moving and shimmering in the breeze, but this season is a close second.

Enough about all of this. You know I love the state and never want to live anywhere else. I just hope you see the beauty I see. My sister is picking up the teardrop sometime this summer. But she announced that she is coming out earlier to look things over and decide what they need as to initial provisions and equipment. She's also coming to spend time with the grand-kids. I just say "yeah" to all of this activity. We'll take the trailer out for a bit of a shakedown run to make sure it pulls right and all the gear works. I tried to convince her that Maine is an awfully long trip for the maiden voyage, and talked to her regarding the idea of shipping the trailer, but she is not to be deterred. She knows they can and will make the trip to take the trailer home. This is exciting as the first vehicle I have ever built is about to launch. Also, it is very exciting as I retrieve a large chunk of my shop. The space will let me make real progress on kitchen cabinets for the house.

In my next blog I'll show you pictures of the trailer and tell you about the challenges in building it. I am excited to show you what I have done and I will be interested in your thoughts. One thing I have yet to do is purchase initial equipment to help J & K out and get them started. Again, I look forward to your thoughts. Have a great weekend.

0 comments:

Post a Comment