Mosquitos

Wednesday, June 12, 2019

For the rest of you in the Midwest, and some of you in other areas, I am sure I am not alone when I talk about mosquitoes being the terror of the summer. For those of you further north, or in other cooler parts of the country, you can probably trade the word mosquitoes for black flies. Either way, I think we all are aware of pests that are so invasive at times during the summer they literally drive us back into the house. Here in Iowa, I knew with certainty we hit this point one night last week. I was leaving the house to go to the gym and one of my neighbors was out walking his dog. With a pained look on his face he told me I shouldn't be out any longer than necessary as the mosquitoes were terrible. As I was already slapping them off my arms, I agreed wholeheartedly.

Did you ever stop to wonder if the lowly mosquito provides any positives in the world?  Like so many things, with this question in mind, I went to Google. The first thing I found was a note that mosquitoes serve no purpose other than to annoy us. I had a moment when I gladly agreed with the answer. I decided to keep digging for more information. There was, in fact, much more. Apparently, the mosquito is a food source for many fish and birds and there is an argument the elimination of the mosquito could have serious ramifications up and down the food chain. On the other hand there is a belief the mosquito is the largest transmitter of disease in the world. So, like so many other things, I guess there is good with the bad.

I remember one summer we were in Maine to spend time with my sister. We had gone to camp for a couple of days. Camp is a nice little cabin on a lake in the more remote part of Maine. We had absolutely wonderful days there. The thing I remember the clearest however were the mosquitoes. Along one side of the cabin was a narrow screened porch with a counter built along the side to the screen/lake. It was a wonderful place to sit, have dinner, and talk or play a game. Just a wonderful place to be. But the thing I remember were the mosquitoes. It sounded almost like rain as they flew against the screen by the thousands, trying to get to us. I am glad none of them had tools to get through. It was still a bit disconcerting.

As I think about the mosquito hoards in the neighborhood last, I still find I can smile about all of it. It is all just part of the circle of living in this part of the world. We know we will have mosquitoes right now, but we also know when the weather gets hot, they will dry up and go away, being nothing more than the "flying drops of water" they are. And we know the summer heat will come, fall will be nice, and we will plunge back into winter. By the way, I don't know about you, but that whole cycle seems to go way too fast anymore.

Enough philosophy for the day. I talked to you in the last blog about CNC routing. I am enjoying the new challenge, but last weekend I had a little bout with breaking tooling. I've done some reading and it seems like I may have done two things wrong. First, I may have been running the router too fast which heat to build up in the bit, causing failures. The second thing is that I spent less on tooling than I should have. This is a recurring lesson for me. I start out by trying to save a little money and when I get all done, I discover (AGAIN) I should have just bought the good stuff in the beginning. With that said, I have some carbide tooling coming, rather than the high speed steel I have been using. I have high confidence this will make a difference. I will let you know what I find out.

If there are any of you involved in CNC operations and have thoughts for me on any of this, I would enjoy hearing what has worked for you. I know there are a lot of things I can use the CNC router to make, even if they are as silly as this reminder. I look forward to continued progress as I learn more about the machine and discover new and interesting projects to create.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

I hope you have a great week.

0 comments:

Post a Comment