Irony

Tuesday, March 5, 2013


In building my new Multi-Purpose Disc Sander, there have been moments of frustration, fun, joy and even laughter.  One moment of laughter came when I was reading through the project instructions.  At several different parts in the project there are call outs to round corners or ease edges.  The ironic part is that the best single way to do this is using a disc sander. Well, guess what - I don’t have one yet.  You have to wonder if this ever crossed the minds of the authors of the article.  In order to write the article they actually built the sander, so when they came to items which called for rounding, what did they think?  While they were using their other disc sander did someone ever say, “I wonder how they will do this?”  Of course, this won’t stop the progress of the project; it is just one of those things that reassures me I've made the right decision in building this project.  I actually need this tool.  Good decision.

Now, the second irony regarding this project came from a conversation with my friend, Jim Bradrick.  Jim and I have consulted on and completed numerous home improvement projects over the last 3 decades.  We have either independently or collaboratively tackled decks, garages, basements, and millwork replacements in at least six states.  He has always been my go-to person when I need help tearing something down or getting over the resistance to get started.  Jim is much more exacting, though, than I am when it comes to finish work, so at that point, we have had a tendency to go separate ways.  He does beautiful work, without question.  Anyway, one of the “rules” that Jim and I have always believed in is that a new project is a reason (read: excuse) to buy a new tool.  If the project is a deck - buy a new screw gun or miter saw; if the project is a bathroom, you might need a tile saw.  When I told Jim I was building a tool, you could feel his level of concern.  If I was building a tool without buying a tool, would the balance of power in the universe be thrown off?  Maybe - we will have to see.

One thing that has come with building the sander, and this may help with the concern Jim has, is there is a LOT to buy in order to complete it.  When all is said and done, I will have invested nearly $500 and I was lucky enough to already own the motor it requires.  That saves me about $300.00 and is also the largest ticket item.  If I were to build these sanders to sell; considering shop time, my time, cost of wood and accessories, I would have to price them in the $1500.00 range.  Now, if you check costs at Grizzly.com (my go-to shopping location) you will find a comparable unit for less than $1000.00. While that seems to be a significant savings, their sander doesn't have all the features as mine does, nor is it as downright cool.

Well, there’s the third irony in this project. In a way I have also faced the challenge from Jim Bradrick.  I am spending money to buy a tool for a project.  I could have spent less money and come close to the same functionality.  The tradeoff is that I am having a blast while building this; it tests woodworking skills I haven’t used for some time, and will be a wonderful conversation piece when I am finished.

For those who are around my age, you may remember Heathkit – a company who sold kits to build anything from crystal radios to televisions.  I used to spend hours searching through the pages wishing I could afford to buy kits so I could build things, rather than just buying them.  Today, I have come full circle and I am finally building something I could have just purchase and the experience is joyous.

Look out - I am sure there is a computer build somewhere in my future.

0 comments:

Post a Comment